Police Record Checks:
NOTE: ALL RECORD CHECKS ARE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT THEY ARE RECEIVED. YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR COMPLETED RECORD CHECK IN YOUR MAILBOX AT THE ADDRESS THAT YOU PROVIDED.
· If you wish to submit an application in person, please attend Windsor Police Services Headquarters at 150 Goyeau St., Windsor or WPS Amherstburg Detachment at 532 Sandwich St. South, Amherstburg, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. If you do not wish to attend in person, you may submit your application electronically by clicking on the Record Check icon.
· Record Check Fees - $55.00 for employment or college/university programs; $25.00 for volunteer or high school programs (with letter from requesting Agency); $45.00 for fingerprints; $10.00 for additional copies; and $50.00 for Expedited Service (see Expedited Service page for more details).
· Please call 519-255-6700, extension 4129 if you have any questions concerning the record check process. This line is monitored during normal working hours of Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
NOTE: A record check is current as of the date it is completed. It is up to the receiving organization to determine if the record check is current enough to be accepted for the position applied for. The Windsor Police Services Board, and employees shall have no responsibility or obligation to make such a determination.
Police Record Check Application Form – as of November 1, 2018
November 1, 2018 the way in which Police Record Checks are completed across
Ontario will be changing, to ensure compliance with the Police Record Checks
Reform Act (PRCRA). This legislation was
passed on December 1, 2015 and will be enacted on Wednesday November 1,
2018. This legislation will ensure that
there is a clear, consistent and comprehensive set of standards to govern how
police record checks are conducted and disclosed in the province of Ontario.
The Act has standardized the three types of record checks
that can be conducted, the information that is authorized to be released on
each type of check and what they are called.
The three types are:
Criminal Record Checks (CRC)
Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
Vulnerable Sector Checks (VSC).
NEW FORMS – these new forms will be
available at Windsor Police Headquarters and online effective November 1, 2018)
Any record checks submitted prior to November 1, 2018 will
still be completed (there is no need for the applicant to submit new forms).
Police agencies across Ontario will no longer be permitted to
disclose any youth records on record checks for non-government agencies.
This means that
applicants under the age of 18 will no longer be provided with a police record
check, unless they can show that that it is required for a government agency.
Only federal, provincial and municipal government agencies
will receive youth records for the purposes of employment or the performance of
services, with or without remuneration (per the Youth Criminal Justice Act
As of November 1, 2018, record checks containing youth
records will be sent directly to the government agency, for which they are
requested, with a copy to the youth.
Youth under 18 are permitted to request a copy of their own
record through a Freedom of Information Access request – however this will not
be provided to them in a record check format, and the YCJA prohibits the youth
from disclosing this information to anyone else.
For the purposes of youth records only, a government
agency strictly refers to agencies in which the federal, provincial or
municipal government is the direct employer.
It does not include agencies that receive government funding. See below examples
Government Agency (authorized to receive
Non – Government Agency
(will not receive youth records)
· Federal departments, ie: Dept of defense, CBSA, Corrections Canada –
refer to www.canada.ca/en/government/dept.html
· Provincial Ministries: Education, MTO, Health, Ministry of the
Attorney General, Public long term care facilities, public daycares – refer
· Municipal departments: City hall, city parks, public library
· Private Retirement homes
· Private daycares
· Family & Children Services