Police Record Checks: 



​There are 3 Levels of Police Record Checks:

​Level 1: Criminal Record Check (CRC)

Level 2: Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)

Level 3:  Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) * You must be a current resident of Windsor and must show proof of your Windsor address to apply for a Police Vulnerable Sector Check through this police service.

·        If you wish to submit an application in person, please attend Windsor Police Services Headquarters at 150 Goyeau St., Windsor or WPS Amherstburg Detachment at 532 Sandwich St. South, Amherstburg, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  If you do not wish to attend in person, you may submit your application electronically by clicking on the Record Check icon.
·        Record Check Fees - $55.00 for employment or college/university programs; $25.00 for volunteer or high school programs (with letter from requesting Agency); $45.00 for fingerprints; $10.00 for additional copies; and $50.00 for Expedited Service (see Expedited Service page for more details).
·        Please call 519-255-6700, extension 4129 if you have any questions concerning the record check process.  This line is monitored during normal working hours of Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.


NOTE: A record check is current as of the date it is completed. It is up to the receiving organization to determine if the record check is current enough to be accepted for the position applied for. The Windsor Police Services Board, and employees shall have no responsibility or obligation to make such a determination.

Police Record Check Application Form – as of November 1, 2018

On November 1, 2018 the way in which Police Record Checks are completed across Ontario will be changing, to ensure compliance with the Police Record Checks Reform Act (PRCRA).  This legislation was passed on December 1, 2015 and will be enacted on Wednesday November 1, 2018.  This legislation will ensure that there is a clear, consistent and comprehensive set of standards to govern how police record checks are conducted and disclosed in the province of Ontario. ​

·        The Act has standardized the three types of record checks that can be conducted, the information that is authorized to be released on each type of check and what they are called.   The three types are:


·          Criminal Record Checks (CRC)

·          Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)

·          Vulnerable Sector Checks (VSC).


·        NEW FORMS – these new forms will be available at Windsor Police Headquarters and online effective November 1, 2018)

·        Any record checks submitted prior to November 1, 2018 will still be completed (there is no need for the applicant to submit new forms).

Youth Records​​ 

·        Police agencies across Ontario will no longer be permitted to disclose any youth records on record checks for non-government agencies.

·        This means that applicants under the age of 18 will no longer be provided with a police record check, unless they can show that that it is required for a government agency.

·        Only federal, provincial and municipal government agencies will receive youth records for the purposes of employment or the performance of services, with or without remuneration (per the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA 119(1)(o)),

·        As of November 1, 2018, record checks containing youth records will be sent directly to the government agency, for which they are requested, with a copy to the youth.

·        Youth under 18 are permitted to request a copy of their own record through a Freedom of Information Access request – however this will not be provided to them in a record check format, and the YCJA prohibits the youth from disclosing this information to anyone else.

·        For the purposes of youth records only, a government agency strictly refers to agencies in which the federal, provincial or municipal government is the direct employer.  It does not include agencies that receive government funding.  See below examples


Government Agency (authorized to receive youth records)

Non – Government Agency (will not receive youth records)

·      Federal departments, ie:  Dept of defense, CBSA, Corrections Canada – refer to www.canada.ca/en/government/dept.html

·      Provincial Ministries:  Education, MTO, Health, Ministry of the Attorney General, Public long term care facilities, public daycares – refer to www.ontario.ca/page/ministries

·      Municipal departments:  City hall, city parks, public library


·      Schools

·      Universities

·      Hospitals

·      Private Retirement homes

·      Private daycares

·      Family & Children Services




​ ​​​​​​​​​