Online Police Reporting: Frequently Asked Questions

Online Crime Reporting

What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?

If your incident is an emergency, call 9-1-1. If it is not an emergency call 519-258-6111.

What if the incident occurred in another municipality? Can I file a report using the online police reporting system?

No. If a crime took place outside the City of Windsor or Town of Amherstburg, please contact the police service for that municipality.

What is a known suspect?

A known suspect is when you or someone else can identify the person responsible for the crime. This can also include identifying information such as the licence plate number of the suspect(s) vehicle.

What if I wish to report a crime, but remain anonymous?

If you wish to remain anonymous, please contact Crime Stoppers.

Sexual Assault Reporting

What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?

If your incident is an emergency, call 9-1-1. If it is not an emergency call 519-258-6111.

What type of sexual assault can I report online?

Only non-emergency sexual assaults can be reported online.

What if this happened outside the City of Windsor or Town of Amherstburg? Can I file a report using this online reporting system?

Yes. If a sexual assault took place outside the City of Windsor or Town of Amherstburg, your report will be processed and the proper jurisdiction notified. That Service can then contact the Windsor Police Service for assistance in completing a recorded interview and forwarding to the investigating police service.

How do I know if I have been sexually assaulted?

Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual touching. It includes kissing, hugging, molestation, rape, and attempted rape. It can happen to someone once, more than once or even over many years.

What will happen after I make an online sexual assault report?

An investigator who is specially trained in sexual assault cases will contact you within 7 days of your report submission.

What if the sexual assault happened a long time ago?

There is no statute of limitations on sexual assault. You can choose to report at any time.

What information do I need to include in the body of my report?

Only a brief description is required. The investigator will get all the pertinent information at a later date.

If I change my mind after I have reported to police do I have to continue with the investigation?

No. In some domestic cases the investigator is obligated by law to press charges; otherwise, you can decide if you want to proceed or not. Your case can also be re-opened should you decide you would like to proceed at a later date.

Vulnerable Persons/Autism Registry

Is there any associated cost for my loved one being on the Vulnerable Persons Registry or the Autism Registry?

No. These services are free.

Who can enroll a vulnerable person onto the registries?

A close family relative, friend, legal guardian, one with a power of attorney designation, or anyone who either lives with the vulnerable person or has intimate knowledge of this person's habits, medical condition(s), places they have wandered off to in the past. The more details provided at registration the better chance of finding the person when they wander in a shorter amount of time. Note, the subject of the registration must reside in the City of Windsor or Town of Amherstburg.

Are both registries confidential?

Yes. Only the person, or their designate, enrolling the wandering person into the registry will be contacted and liaised with during a time when the individual has actively wandered off. The Windsor Police, who require this information in the performance of their duties, will have access to the information. During an emergency situation, police may be required to share this information with other emergency services such as the Fire Department, Ambulance, or other Police Agencies.

What can I do after I have enrolled my loved one on the Vulnerable Persons Registry or the Autism Registry?

It is strongly suggested that you contact the Alzheimer Society of Windsor-Essex County at 519-974-2220 or Autism Services Inc. at 519-966-7283 to assist you in strategies that may help in reducing future wandering incidents.

Is there any technology available that can be used to assist in the tracking and locating of my loved one should he/she wander off?

Yes. Please contact our local Alzheimer Society of Windsor-Essex County or Autism Services Inc. and they would be happy to discuss several options with you.

Will I need to remember my Report Number if I call the police?

No. During high stress situations there is no expectation that you will remember your Report Number. However, you should indicate that the individual is listed on the Vulnerable Persons or Autism Registry. Windsor Police Service will be able to retrieve the report information using the vulnerable person's name or address.

Will I be notified when the annual renewal is required?

No. The annual renewals are the sole responsibility of the caregiver/power of attorney/decision-maker/other authorized person. We recommend that you renew the registration during the month of the registrant's birthday.

Is there anything else I can do besides registering my loved one on the registry?

It would be best to prepare for a wandering incident prior to one actually occurring. By taking the preparatory time beforehand it will enable a timely and less stressful exchange of information when reporting a wandering individual. The following are some examples of how to prepare for a wandering incident:

  • Have all relevant telephone numbers on hand
  • The wandering individual's Report Number
  • Who to call
  • What information you need to relate, such as: Clothing being worn, illness(es), etc.